What is an Innovation School?
- Innovation schools are District-managed schools that have the ability to waive provisions of District policy, state statute, and collective bargaining agreements with the goal of encouraging schools and districts to design and implement innovative practices in a wide variety of areas for the purpose of improving student outcomes;.
- Innovation schools were established through the innovation Schools Act (§ 22-32.5-107, C.R.S) which is available here: http://www.cde.state.co.us/sites/default/files/documents/choice/download/sb130/statutesb130.pdf.
- If you would like to see a school’s innovation plan, they are available at: http://cde.state.co.us/choice/innovationschoolsarchive.asp.
Our Innovation Schools
View a comprehensive list of innovation schools in DPS. Learn more…
Innovation Zone Application
Groups of Innovation schools with common interests that would like to apply to be an Innovation Zone must undergo an authorization process. Please contact Jennifer Holladay (JENNIFER_HOLLADAY@dpsk12.org) for more information about this process.
- Innovation schools have the ability to seek waivers of select District policies, State Statutes, and Collective Bargaining Agreement provisions in order to improve student achievement. All waived policies require a replacement policy that ensures schools are complying with the original intent and meeting minimum requirements.
- Common District policy waivers include curriculum, schedule, and composition of the Collaborative school committee.
- Common State Statute waivers include calendar and hiring processes.
- Common waivers from the DCTA collective bargaining agreement include schedule, hiring, and dismissal procedures.