- While school closure is never an ideal outcome, it is sometimes necessary in order to improve student achievement.
- If the DPS Board of Education or the school decides to close a charter school, the District and school work closely together to protect the interests of students and families, as well as to ensure public funds are handled appropriately.
- For additional details on the closure process please see the School Closure Handbook.
History of Charter School Closures
- DPS is committed to high expectations for all schools, District-run and charter, and has taken action with charter schools based on low academic performance.
- Additionally, several schools have demonstrated a commitment to students and shared accountability by surrendering their charters when they were not meeting performance benchmarks.
Charter School Closure List
Date of Closure Decision
Last Year of Operation
Type of Closure
Reason for Closure
|ACE Community Challenge||2000-01||December, 2016||2017-18||School Surrender||Voluntary School Decision|
|Pioneer Charter||2005-06||Spring 2015||2015-16||School Surrender (outside of renewal timeframe)||Voluntary School Decision|
|Escuela Tlatelolco (Contract School; Closure Refers to End of Contract with DPS)||2004-05 (Year of Contracting with DPS)||June, 2016||2015-16||Contract School; No Longer Operating as Part of DPS||Academic|
|Sims Fayola||2012-13||January, 2015||2014-15||School Surrender||Academic and Financial|
|VenturePrep MS||2009-10||November, 2012||2014-15||School Surrender||Academic|
|SOAR Oakland||2011-12||November, 2013||2013-14||School Surrender||Academic|
|Northeast Academy||2003-04||November, 2012||2012-13||School Surrender||Academic|
|Life Skills||2004-05||November, 2011||2011-12||DPS Board Decision||Academic|
|Manny Martinez||2009-10||November, 2010||2011-12||DPS Board Decision||Academic|
|PS 1||2000-01||November, 2009||2010-11||DPS Board Decision||Academic|
|DATA||2003-04||December, 2009||2009-10||DPS Board Decisions||Financial|
|KIPP @ Cole||2005-06||January, 2007||2007-08||School Surrender||Operational|