The 2018 Call for New Quality Schools: For New Schools Intending to Open in Fall 2019 or Thereafter
The Call for New Quality Schools, also known as the Call, is open to all school developers, District-run and charter, in alignment with our commitment to equity across school types. The Call is three things:
- A public document, which transparently articulates the needs DPS has for new or expanded school programs.
- A quality authorizing process, through which DPS evaluates the quality of proposals for new district and charter schools, engages with communities and supports the Denver Board of Education in making decisions about which schools to approve or deny in a public vote.
- A placement process, through which approved schools compete for placement in a district facility under the Facility Allocation Policy, and are placed by the board in a public vote.
Call for New Quality Schools Document
The Call document transparently articulates District needs for new schools and defines the requirements for service and placement in a District facility to meet those needs. Given current conditions, DPS is not making the promise of facility support in this year’s Call for New Quality Schools.
New and Replicating School Application and Rubric
2018 application materials for new and replicating schools are listed below (updated 1/22/18):
- New School Application and Rubric with TNLI Updates (1/22/18)
- 2018 Replication School Application and Rubric with TNLI Updates (1/22/18)
- New School Application: TNLI Programming Supplement
- District Run Budget Template (Updated December 2017)
- Charter School Budget Template (Updated December 2017)
Quality Authorizing Process & Timeline
The quality authorizing process includes:
- Review of a written application against a public rubric that defines quality standards
- Feedback from community members
- A public vote by the DPS Board of Education
2018 Quality Authorizing Process Timeline
- Letters of Intent are due February 9, 2018 via email to email@example.com
- New School and Replication Applications are due April 2, 2018 by 5:00 PM. Please see the application for specific submission requirements.
- Applicant Interviews will occur between the weeks of April 16–May 2, 2018
- District Sponsored Community Events for new schools will occur between April 16–April 27, 2018
- Applicants will present to the DPS Board of Education and the Board will host Public Comment on May 10, 2018
- The DPS Board of Education will vote on May 17, 2018
A detailed timeline can be found in the 2018 Call for New Quality Schools Document.
Facility Placement Process
The placement review process is informed by the Facility Allocation Policy and the Facility Allocation Policy Part A Guidelines. Once applicants have been approved through the Call, district staff and the Board of Education use the Facility Allocation Policy and the Facility Allocation Policy Part A Guidelines to determine which schools will be placed in a district facility. Given current conditions, DPS is not making the promise of facility support in this year’s Call for New Quality Schools.
Additional Resources for the 2018 Call for New Quality Schools
School designers interested in applying for the 2018 Call for New Quality Schools should contact Ashleigh Madonna at firstname.lastname@example.org or 720-423-2482 for more information and to ensure they are included in all communications and updates about the new schools process.