The 2017 Call for New Quality Schools
The Call for New Quality Schools, also known as the Call, is three things:
- A public document, which transparently articulates the needs DPS has for new or expanded school programs.
- A quality review process, through which DPS evaluates the quality of proposals for new district and charter schools, engages with communities and supports the Denver Board of Education in making decisions about which schools to approve or deny in a public vote.
- A placement process, through which approved schools compete for placement in a district facility under the Facility Allocation Policy, and are placed by the board in a public vote.
School designers interested in applying for the 2017 Call for New Quality Schools should contact Ashleigh Madonna at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
CALL FOR NEW QUALITY SCHOOLS DOCUMENT:
The Call document transparently articulates District needs for new schools and defines, within those needs, the requirements for service and placement in a District facility to meet those needs. Please click on the following link to view the 2017 Call for New Quality Schools.
QUALITY REVIEW PROCESS:
2017 application materials for new and replicating schools are listed below:
- New School Application and Rubric
- Replication Application and Rubric
- Native Language Instruction Rubric Updates
- District Run Budget Template (Updated February 2017)
- Charter School Budget Template
Quality Review Process Timeline*
- Letters of Intent (Appendix A of the Application) are due February 10, 2017 via email to email@example.com
- New School and Replication Applications are due April 3, 2017 by 5:00 PM. Please see the application for specific submission requirements.
- Applicant Interviews will occur during the week of April 24
- Regional Community Meetings for new schools will occur during the week of April 10 and April 17
- Applicants will present to the DPS Board of Education on Monday, May 15, 2017
- The DPS Board of Education will host Public Comment and will vote on the quality of the plans on Thursday, May 18, 2017
*A detailed timeline can be found in the 2017 Call for New Quality Schools Document.
PLACEMENT REVIEW PROCESS:
The placement review process that is part of the 2017 Call for New Quality Schools is informed by the Facility Allocation Policy and the Facility Allocation Policy Part A Guidelines. Once applicants have been approved through the Call, district staff and the Board of Education use the Facility Allocation Policy and the Facility Allocation Policy Part A Guidelines to determine which schools will be placed in a district facility.
- March 3rd: Appointment Committee members seated
- March 8th: Meet the Applicants Community Meeting at Amesse
- March 9th: Meet the Applicants Community Meeting at Greenlee
- March 10th: CRB Applications Due
- March 24th: CRB Members Selected
- April 3rd: New School Applications Due
- April 10th-21st: Regional Community Meetings for New School Applicants
o Far Northeast: April 13th from 6:00pm-7:30pm
o Near Northeast: April 18th from 6:00pm-7:30pm
o Northwest: April 19th from 6:00pm-7:30pm
Southeast: April 12th from 6:00pm-7:30pm - Canceled
o Southwest: April 11th from 6:00pm-7:30pm
- May 5th: Placement Applications Due
- May 15th: Staff and DAC recommendations to Board on New Schools and New School Presentations
- May 18th: Board Vote on New Schools and Public Comment
- June 12th: CRB/Superintendent Recommendation to Board on Placement/Applicant Presentations
- June 15th: Board Vote on Placement and Public Comment
Community Review Board self-nomination forms (DUE March 10)